There are many basic techniques of protection that don’t require any rituals or incantations. These things are so easy and effective that all Wiccans need to know about them:
- Salt – A circle of salt around an area prevents negative entities and demons from crossing into it. You can make a line of salt along a door or windowsill to make it impassable.
- Iron – Iron symbolises the pure will, and repels evil. This is why Wiccans sometimes put an iron object in the entrance of their homes to deter unwanted visitors. Three iron nails driven into the frame of a door or window (one at each bottom corner and one in the top middle) block malevolent spirits from passing. It is also said that most spirits are unable to cross a railway line, because the iron forms an impenetrable wall for them. They must instead use a bridge or a tunnel below ground.
- Silver – This symbolises the Moon and the Goddess, making silver jewellery easy to enchant to make talismans of protection. A silver pentagram is a powerful protection even without a spell.
- The Pentacle – the five-pointed star symbolising the five elements can be traced almost anywhere as a powerful symbol of protection.
- Light – Many lesser demons avoid bright places and attack only when it is dark. This unfortunately has no use against the demons of higher rank.
- Fire – Some evil spirits fear fire, especially those spirits related to water or ice. In some cases, a single candle can be a protection.
- Crystals – Four quartz crystals previously blessed by a witch can create a circle of protection very quickly. Simply arrange them in a circle on the ground to create a circle that most spirits would find it hard to cross. This circle can protect you, or instead it can be used to trap a spirit in the middle. The circle is much stronger if the crystals are placed by the cardinal points.
- Gemstones – stones and gems have qualities useful in magic, and many are effective for protection. Tiger’s eye reflects negative energies to their source; Amethyst blocks manipulative spells and decreases the effect of harmful potions, magnetite can be used to entrap lesser demons, while opal can temporarily lock even higher demons, onyx and obsidian capture and cancel various negative energies including those used in necromancy. The mineral most often used by sorcerers is clear quartz, but it must be blessed or enchanted for it to be effective as protection.
- Orgonite – Orgonite is a energy-healing tool which is made from resin, metals and gemstones, and it works by re-balancing negative energy. While most people use orgonite for protection against harmful electromagnetic pollution, few know that it also provides powerful spiritual protection, especially when worn as a necklace (as a bonus, many orgonite pieces are very beautiful, so they look good when worn, or as home decor). Read more about orgonite here.
- Two apples and a knife – This is another very simple method to create a circle of protection. An apple cut in half crosswise presents five areas containing its seeds as a natural pentacle! Deposited on the ground by the cardinal points, two half apples create a circle of temporary protection, which disappears when the apples are completely oxidized and have changed colour.
- Incense – Some types of incense can make the air unbearable for bad spirits. If you have a good quality incense, you can keep many of them away. The most common protective incense types are sandalwood, patchouli, myrrh, frankincense and sage.
- Plants – Several herbs, spices and other plants used in Wicca have protective qualities. Garlic repels creatures that drain their victims (thus everything that has a vampiric nature); saffron and thyme deter flying spirits that are associated with wind; rosemary repels evil spirits associated with water; Sage, when burnt, is very cleansing and intolerable to evil spirits. Henbane and aconite violently repel demons, but they are very toxic plants so be careful when handling them! Lilacs planted near a home will deter wandering spirits who come by chance (but they won’t stop those who come with a clear goal in mind). Branches of a thorny plant (such as a rose) placed along a door or windowsill will form a barrier as effective as a line of salt. Finally, myrrh strengthens almost all spells and protective talismans.
- The Athame – Although many Wiccans do not sharpen their athame and never use it to cut anything, this knife is nevertheless a weapon, in addition to being a phallic symbol and thus a symbol of God . An athame which has been properly blessed can draw a circle of protection very quickly – point it in the air and draw the boundaries of the circle. In addition, unlike any other blade, an athame can hurt spirits and demons even though they have no physical body.
- Broom – This is a symbol for cleansing, and a broom placed by the door will prevent weaker spirits from entering. If a particularly dangerous spirit enters the house, the broom will tend to fall to the ground as an alarm signal.
- Protection Ritual Bath – A simple way to protect yourself is to incorporate magick into everyday activities like bathing. You can create a bath ritual from scratch using protective herbs and oils, or you can use a ritual bath kit which contains everything you need for this ritual.
Cedar, White & Blue Sage
Banishing Spell Kit
It happens that I have initiated my spiritual journey. Although, it has been only months, I am already seeing and experiencing the changes, all of them to the positive side of the equation. I came accros your website and I have found it very enlightening. I have always been aware of what A Witch or Wiccan really is, and I feel deep respect for he or she.
I would love to explore Witchcraft as I know it will help me even further with my quest.
Thanks for your comment Arev. So glad that you have found your path 🙂
There has been something going on with me my hole life.I had a stroke and had to relearn everything. But like a camera flash.things come back to me,memorys and I knew my grandmother and my mother were witches and when they died they walked through my soul.They raised me open mined.and told me I was special different than others. And I had found my way here and I have been reading for days and days.There is so many things that are the true me..and made me warm like I found my way home.I and some of the spells and things I have done with my gammy when I was little.For some reason this site is making me feel safe. My family was from Ireland so The love of celtic and mother earth is all around me.The things I truly dont understand yet is..anytime someone does something to hurt me in anyway something aways happens to them.Just bad luck or stuff like that,My gammy told me when I was a little girl I was protected.Cant that be ? And the older I get the stronger I get. Does that make sense,? Does anyone know..
Sounds like you have had some interesting experiences and have very strong energies surrounding you and guiding you on your life path! Yes, you could very well be protected because of your mother and your grandmother . It makes complete sense. Magick powers are not necessarily inherited by blood, but by being around people with strong magickal powers, it can “rub off” on you, especially when you are young.
Good luck in your journey!
hi where can I buy that kind of necklace?
You can buy it here:
Pentagram Necklace on Amazon
I have been Wiccan for over 15 years and I really like your site. My spell book is nearly 103 years old passed down from mother to daughter over and over. The males in our family never seemed to fall back on the craft so it has always been just us women. I know the FOLD law very well. And I can attested to the law personally. But that is all behind me now and I still join the moon chants and the gatherings. Thanks for being open minded… Blessed Be.