Himalayan salt lamps have seen a surge in popularity lately, and it’s no wonder – they are beautiful accessories to have in the home and give off a lovely, calming glow. But look beyond the surface, and we’ll see that not only are they pleasing to the eye – they can also be used as effective spiritual and magickal tools.
Salt has been used in witchcraft and magick for centuries for healing, purification and protection. From Morocco to Scotland, ancient folklore all over the world describes the use of salt to ward away evil and purify the self.
Salt is a dessicating agent, which means that it absorbs water. This is why consuming a lot of salt makes you feel thirsty. This is also the reason why salt is used to kill slugs, and to preserve food by killing bacteria. It absorbs the water from these organisms and dehydrates them. Salt also absorbs oil and other substances. But most importantly for us, it also absorbs psychic energies very effectively. Salt sucks up energy from its immediate surroundings and holds it, which makes it a fantastic tool for sponging up any energies that are unwanted.
Some ways that Witches can use salt to protect and purify include:
- Bathing in a salt bath
- Sprinkling salt into the corners of a room
- Carrying a small bottle of salt as protection
- Cleansing tools that are going to be used in rituals
- Eating or drinking something salty to ground yourself after performing rituals
It’s important to note that salt doesn’t necessarily discriminate between negative and positive energy, it absorbs it all. That’s one reason why many Witches tend to keep salt away from enchantments, and stick to using it for banishings.
However, Himalayan salt lamps have one aspect which makes them a little more versatile for magical use than regular salt rocks.
Himalayan salt lamps absorb psychic energy just like regular salt particles do. However, they also release energy.
When salt is heated up and dried, it seems to release the energy stored inside it. This means that when the salt lamp is switched on and the lamp warms up the rock, energy emanates from the lamp even as more is being absorbed, creating an energy-cleansing cycle. Most people who have some amount of psychic sensitivity can sense this on some level, as they feel more energised, yet simultaneously emotionally calmer in the presence of salt lamps.
It’s possible that, as the energy travels out through the salt lamp’s crystalline structure, it is re-structured and balanced, which is why the energy emanating from the Himalayan salt lamp feels much more harmonious than the energy absorbed by it might have been. As it’s not yet possible to scientifically study magickal energy, all we can go off is our senses – and it’s a rare person who isn’t drawn to the soothing glow of a Himalayan salt lamp.
With the above in mind, here are some ideas for you to experiment with salt lamps and magick:
- Place your hands on your salt lamp and visualise all the energies you want to let go of pouring into the salt lamp. When you are done, wait for a few minutes, then place your hands on it again and visualise yourself absorbing the positive, balanced energies now emanating from the salt lamp.
- Experiment with salt lamps and meditation. See how your meditation differs without the lamp, with the lamp switched off, and the lamp switched on.
- Utilise Himalayan salt lamps in protection spells for yourself or other people – you can even place photos of loved ones at the foot of a salt lamp to call in protection for them.
- Focus on a salt lamp while meditating, and play around with absorbing the energy emanating from it.
- Experiment with love, romance and friendship spells – Himalayan salt is said to be good for these purposes!
The task of choosing a Himalayan salt lamp can be a bit daunting if you don’t know what you should be looking for. There is a wide range of salt lamps available to buy, in varying price classes. However, there are a few very important things to consider:
- Is the salt lamp fairtrade? As practitioners of a tradition that recognises the interconnectedness of all beings, and the ways in which our energy affects each other, it’s important to make ethical consumer choices. Buying a fairtrade lamp means that the miners get paid fairly for their work, have decent, safe working conditions, and are protected by worker’s rights. For something used for a spiritual purpose, it is especially important that it is acquired in a just and fair way to the harm of none.
- Is the salt lamp of good quality? As the demand for salt lamps increase, there are more and more unscrupulous sellers who sell poorly-made, or even fake salt lamps. Be sure to buy from a legitimate, established company who sell quality lamps.
The salt lamps pictured in this post are from So Well, who we recommend as they meet the above requirements. They sell a huge range of Himalayan salt lamps in different shapes, sizes and colours, handcrafted by skilled artisans in Pakistan. (They also have loads of other Himalayan salt products, from gourmet salt to skincare products!)
Once you have found a quality, fairtrade source for your Himalayan salt lamp, it’s time to choose the kind that you want:
- Colour: The most common is amber, but it’s also possible to source the more rare white or grey salt lamps. White salt lamps are said to have a very high spiritual vibration for healing and purification.
- Shape: Most salt lamps come in a natural, rock-like shape, but others are carved into pyramids, cubes, or even spheres for that Witchy crystal-ball look.
- Size: Salt lamps vary in size – from small USB-lamps to jumbo lamps up to twenty inches in height.
Himalayan salt lamps absorb moisture easily, so leave them on when you can, especially if you live in a humid environment. If the lamp gets wet, leave it in strong sunlight for a few hours until it dries, then wipe off any excess crystals.
Since Himalayan salt lamps are self-cleansing and self-charging, you don’t need to cleanse or charge them before using them in magick, but you can consecrate/dedicate them to your magickal purpose with a ritual, if you choose to do so.