- The self-exorcism : This occurs when the possessed person, still conscious, is intensely focused on emotions, memories or thoughts inconsistent with the demon or ghost, to such an extent that the evil spirit’s hold is weakened by the inner strength of his victim. With their knowledge of concentration, meditation and emotional control, witches, pagans and mediums are best placed to exorcise themselves.
- Exorcism by dislodgement : This is when the possessed person is rescued by a beneficial spirit, which enters the body and takes the place of the demon or ghost, forcing it to leave. Once the enemy is gone, the beneficial spirit lets go and the victim is released. Pets, angels and some benevolent ghosts can play this role.
- Exorcism by magic : This is the most powerful form of exorcism, where a third party uses a spell or ritual to expel the possessor by force of magic. (Note that if the possessed person has sufficient control to make the ritual or formula and perform a self-exorcism by magic, it can be very powerful!)
General principles of exorcism
There are as many ways to perform an exorcism as there are cases of possessions, but some general rules are worth mentioning:
- When addressing the evil spirit with an incantation, it must be mandatory, binding and authoritative. This will weaken the possessor and help awaken the victim.
- All those present during the exorcism must be protected (by, for example, protection spells, talismans, or a magic circle) to prevent the spirit from possessing another person. And obviously, children, mentally unstable people and drunk or drugged people should not attend the ritual.
- Before beginning an exorcism, there must be a way to banish the spirit once it is removed from the body of the victim, unless it flees voluntarily. It can be an incantation written specifically for this purpose, a sage smudging, or any other technique which will work.
Read the following articles in order to learn about different techniques of exorcism:
More Wiccan spells and articles
Successfully performing a spell is an art that comes about with practice. The better you are at working with magickal energy, the better your results will be. The Essence of Magick is a guide which teaches the art of spellcasting by aligning energy and intent. If you'd like to know more,click here.