Centering yourself and your focus is a very important part of performing magick, and should be done for every magick spell. Without being centered and focused, it’s very hard to build the kind of psychic power that you need to cast a spell effectively.
There are many ways to center and focus, but the following method is very simple, and can also be used as a form of protection in other circumstances. It uses the mantra “As above, so below”, which means that your physical self and your spiritual self are in harmony.
Here’s how to center yourself using this mantra:
- Stand or kneel, and relax your mind so that stray thoughts simply drift away. In order to focus your mind, it needs to be relaxed and clear.
- When you are ready, touch your index finger to the center of your forehead and say “As Above”.
- Next, touch your index finger to just below your solar plexus, and say “So below”.
- Extend your hands to your sides with your palms facing upwards and cupped, while your elbows stay relaxed and close to your body. say “As Without”.
- Bring your hands in to the center of your body and press the palms together in prayer position. Say “So Within”.
- Stay in this position for a few moments, and focus on the calm and serenity within you. Feel yourself strongly centered, as if a pillar of light was running through your torso, increasing and focusing your personal power.
- Lastly, seal the meditation by raising your hands, still together, towards your lips as if kissing them, and then press them to the center of your forehead.
This centering technique can also be used when you are in the midst of negative emotion. If you are angry or upset, it can help bring you into a calmer state.
Practice this centering technique daily, not only before magick, but in different situations. Being centered and focused is good for all parts of life, not just magick!